Ever wonder the cost to paint a house? Whether you’re a DIY weekend warrior or looking to hire a local painter, it’s best to know what to expect so there are no surprises no matter which route you take.
Since tax season is upon us, homeowners are looking for home improvement ideas to spruce things up and bring some curb appeal to their homes. But, just because you have a wad of cash from your tax returns doesn’t mean you want to blow it all at once! Whether you’re spending tax returns or hard earned savings, you want to spend your money wisely.
If you’re planning on painting the exterior of your home, then you’ve probably already started calling around for a house painting estimate from local painters in Tampa. If so, then you might be taken back by how much to paint a house – perhaps it’s giving you the ambitious idea in your head, “I can just paint the house myself”. WAIT! Before you commit to the crazy idea to paint your house this weekend, you may want to learn the steps of how to paint a house exterior.
Factors that Affect the Average Cost to Paint a House
When you’re figuring how much to paint your house exterior, following are some of the factors that will impact the cost to painting a house whether you hire a professional or doing it yourself. Keep in mind, some of these don’t apply if you hire a local painting company.
- Size of your home
- Single Story, Two Story, Three Story?
- Type of house siding – Stucco, Brick, Vinyl, Wood, Concrete, etc
- Current condition of your home – Wood rot? Stucco cracks? Paint peeling?
- Quality of paint
- Exterior Features – Doors, Shutters, Window Bars, Gutters, etc
- Painting Supplies (DIY only)
- How nice you want the house to look
- How much money you make (DIY only)
Hire Painter or DIY?
Certainly, anyone that is physically able can paint a house. But that doesn’t mean house painting is for everyone. Following are a few things you should consider before painting your house yourself:
- Risk of getting hurt – falling from a ladder, getting paint in your eyes, getting elbowed by your spouse when they remind you
- Time consuming – perhaps you can make more money with your time doing what you do best. You should figure painting will take you 4 x longer than you anticipate. Time for preparation, shopping, painting, shopping some more to get more paint and supplies, cleaning-up.
- Costly mistakes – Using the wrong type of paint, Improper application of the paint, Picking colors without considering lighting or color matching
- Painting Supplies – paint rollers, paint brushes, ladders and scaffolding, painter’s tape, paint gun rental, pressure washing machine, drop cloths and plastic, old clothes, painter’s mask, gloves, and more
- Improper Preparation of the painted surface – Often people don’t clean the surface or they paint over a material that won’t bond correctly to the paint they’re using.
- Stress – when you’re trying to paint your own house outside of all the other activities you have going on, the paint job becomes stressful. 9 times out of 10 the DIY project will not go as planned and you’ll have tension. If you’re not flexible, it can cause stress on your relationships or perhaps you’ll give up and call local painting contractors to come finish the job, anyways.
If you’ve never painted a house before, then there will be an obvious difference between your paint job and a professional. You’re going to spend a lot of time learning what to do, how to paint and learning from your mistakes which can be costly. However, at the end of the day, at least you will have the feeling of accomplishment along with a few good “war stories” to share with your guests the next time you have a backyard barbeque party. If you plan on painting your house yourself, then you better get moving because the last few weeks of cool weather in Tampa, FL are upon us!
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a Painter in Tampa, FL?
The average cost to paint a house exterior in 2018 is around $1.20 per square foot under the roof.
However, there are aspects of a house painting project that can cause the estimate to fluctuate up or down from the average – things like wood rot, lead paint, stucco repair, multi-level homes, and other details that a painter will point out on his estimate.
It’s inevitable that you will get some cheap painting estimates from sub-contractors that don’t carry their own license that are just looking for side work. You might even find a few guys that are looking for beer money that can talk the talk, but can’t really provide the quality painting you expect to get from a licensed painting contractor.
Be careful who you hire to paint your home. Don’t just go with the best price or with a friend/family member. Make sure they are a licensed in the state of Florida, and bonded and insured for your protection. They should be using quality paint, should include a warranty for their work, has been in business for years and has a nice portfolio showing the quality of their work.
Why Hire a Painting Contractor
Professional painters are painting houses every day. It’s what they do!
Painters have all the right equipment, they’ve got the processes down from start to finish, they buy paint at discounted rates, they help you pick colors and provide you with color samples, and they’re on the hook for getting the job done right, within budget, and done on time!
Also, professional painters are bonded and insured. This means you’re covered in the event that a painter gets injured on the job or something of yours gets damaged by the painters.
Not only do you get your house painted faster, you get it painted the right way, your house will look better, the proper coating will protect your home longer, and the best painters will give customers a warranty with their work.
The best part? You don’t have to do it!
If you’ve decided you’re going to hire a professional, go with a company you can trust – one that is licensed, bonded and insured – like Don’s Bay Area Painting Company.
Get a Free House Painting Estimate from one of the Best Painters in Tampa
Don Murray has been painting for over 30 years and has been in business in Florida for over 15 years as a Tampa painting company.
Don’s Bay Area Painting requires NO money down and doesn’t require payment until you’re happy. Don’s Painting offers a price match guarantee to ensure his customers get the best value. Best of all, we do everything within the price we quoted – no unexpected fees or surprises at the end.
For a Free House Painting Estimate, call Don at 813-661-9006 or Click Here.